Welcome to the
Southern New South Wales
The Southern New South Wales Alpaca Region is a vibrant and exciting region that stretches from the Southern Highlands to the Victorian border and is part of the Australian Alpaca Association Ltd.
The region encompasses some of Australia’s best fibre growing areas and has a range of alpaca farms from broad-acre studs running hundreds of alpacas to smaller boutique studs and even hobby farms with just two or three alpacas.
The Southern New South Wales Region is one of the largest alpaca regions in Australia with studs breeding both suri and huacaya alpacas.
Multiple shows and events are held in the region each year from small agricultural shows to the elite level shows; giving members and visitors alike time to celebrate all things alpaca. Some of the major events and shows in the region are:
- Royal Canberra Show: held in February each year, is the elite show for the region with studs from across Australia attending with the hope of winning against strong competition. Held over two and half days it showcases the highest quality alpacas, both suri and huacaya, the region has to offer.
- Gunning Show: The Gunning Show will be held on 21 February 2016. Please see the 'Events' page on this website for more information.
- Boorowa Show: The 2016 Borrowa show will be held on Saturday 6 March. The judge for this show will be Andrew Munn. Show Schedule and Entry forms are now available in the Members' Section of this website, under "forms".
- Murrumbateman Field Days: held on the third weekend in October is the Canberra region's premier small farm field day event and has been running for over 35 years. It brings together over 400 exhibitors including a large alpaca display; showcasing animals and products that are available from the many studs in the region. Located at Murrumbateman, on the Barton Highway between Canberra and Yass.
- Henty Machinery Field Days, running for over 50 years, is Australia's premier mixed farming field days and in located in the heart of the nation's food bowl in southern NSW. It attracts more then 60,000 visitors each year. Held over three days in the third week of September it includes an alpaca display from breeders in the region.
- Carousel of Colour - Southern NSW Colourbration Alapca Show will be held over 2 days - Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 May 2016. The Carousel of Colour celebrates the wonderful range of colours of alpacas being breed in Australia. The 2016 Carousel of colour will be held at the Goulburn Show Grounds. See News for updates and Entry Forms.
Thinking of getting into alpacas?
The SNSW Regional breeders offer a range of alpacas for sale from show quality alpacas to alpacas that will be kept as pets; and of course friendly and professional after sales assistance and advice is always offered. The SNSW stud owners are more than happy to share their knowledge and love of alpacas with new breeders. Information about alpacas can be located on the New to Alpacas tab and the list of breeders can be found under the Contacts tab.
Frequently Asked Questions tab on this site may answer some of your alpaca questions.